Sometimes you just need a beach vacation for a dose of sunshine & a fresh perspective, & who could blame you? Sinking your toes into the warm white sand with an exotic cocktail in your hand is the best way to combat the winter blues or work-related stress. However, the key to a worry-free luxury vacation is to budget properly. The fact is, you can get away without going overboard on spending.
Here are a few tips for a beach vacation that won't break the bank:
- It may be counterintuitive to look for a resort with direct access to the beach, but spending a little extra will be worth it. If you stay at a property that's farther away, you'll have to deal with transportation. Plus, you'll be less inclined to spend money on costly tours & activities off the grounds if you have a breathtaking stretch of sand right on-site. If you're a stone's throw from the beach, you can also forgo the room with the ocean view to save some money.
- There's no reason to stuff your luggage with half your wardrobe – after all, you're probably going to be wearing a swimsuit for most of your stay. By packing light, you'll avoid checked baggage fees & also save yourself the hassle of lugging around a heavy suitcase.
- Look for resorts are all inclusive. Food can be a major budget buster if you're not careful, but at this kind of hotel, you won't have to fret about the bill every time you dine. Some resorts even include alcoholic beverages in the rate.
- Bringing items like sunscreen & beach toys for your kids can help you to save a bundle. While local convenience stores & gift shops may have these products, the prices will likely be higher.
- If you're planning to attend a special event or activity at your destination, book tickets in advance & you may be able to take advantage of a discounted price.
- Be flexible about the location & you might get more bang for your buck. For example, though you may be dying to go to Hawaii or the Caribbean, you could find a great deal in Mexico. You'll still be able to enjoy a blissful beach getaway, but you'll have a shorter & potentially less expensive flight.
- Leverage the expertise of the hotel concierge. These staff members can often provide insight about special deals both at the resort & at restaurants & other businesses in the surrounding area.